- Detail
If you want an A paper, you need detail. If you want a C paper, leave out the detail. Detail is what makes a paper, its the difference between reading a paper and actually understanding a paper. It grabs the audiences attention and keeps them entertained. If you think about it, detail in a paper is what separates the average writer from those who make a living off writing. It allows the reader to have a mental image of what they are reading which always makes a paper more fun to read. Instead of saying, "the teacher was very boring" say, "the way the teacher read to the class in his monotone voice put the class to sleep."
- Dilemma or Problem
Including some sort of problem in which the narrator must overcome always makes for a better paper. It brings suspense which always keeps the reader interested. It doesn't always have to be a dramatic dilemma, just something the character or narrator must solve to get to the conclusion. It gives the reader a reason to stay tuned! Who doesn't love listening (or in this case reading) to other peoples problems.
- Flow
Another big difference between an A and C paper is one that flows. A paper that sounds choppy and includes sentences that don't work together are never fun to read. And never receive a good grade either. Instead of covering many topics in one paragraph for instance, make sure to relate everything and try not to catch yourself getting off topic. Also make sure to use transition words to enable it to flow better. For example therefore, furthermore, however, etc.
I often find its hardest for me to include detail in my papers. I believe I usually lack sufficient detail to make the reader invasion what I'm talking about in my papers. For some reason it always seems if I add too much detail it sounds choppy. Adding detail is what I expect to improve on this semester.
No comments:
Post a Comment